Camelot

Camelot

Saturday, May 21, 2011

I Was Once a Sun Worshiper

Yes, in my younger days I used to sacrifice myself to the sun god.  I would lay out at the beach or poolside wearing bikinis that make me blush today just at the memory, my body slick with baby oil.  Boy, talk about baking or roasting however way you want to say it.  That was of course before all the research into skin cancer (malignant melanoma) brought on by a surgence of the cancer found on previous sun worshipers from the 60's and 70's.  I could be wrong but that is my opinion since in my youth I heard no mention of it anywhere.  There were no warnings or commercials of the importance of sun protection, so like many people we went about our day ignorant of what was happening to our skin as soon as we stepped outside.  Now we are bombarded by information.  Which is a good thing for the next generation.  You know what amazes me though, for all the information available to us, there are people who still insist on not protecting themselves.  I don't know why that is.  Is it laziness?  Is it denial?  Is it the unrealistic assumption that they are invincible?  Dream on baby, dream on.  Wearing sun protection today can save you a wrinkle tomorrow.  That's how I see it.  Sometimes I'm in such a hurry in the morning that I barely have time to put sunscreen on but I do it.  I pour a glob in my hand and rub it on my face while I'm walking out the door and sometimes I get to work and I crack myself up when I happen to glance in a mirror and I have streaks of white across my face.  Oooops, I missed a spot.  Hahaha...but honestly I don't care if anyone thinks I'm strange when they see me like that because I always feel I will have the last laugh.  (Well, I'm sympathetic to other sunscreen wearers and if I see someone with a streak of sunscreen on their face I would inform them.)  I take comfort in the knowledge that in ten years I'll still be wrinkle free and whom so ever laughed behind my back will not.  Well, that's my personal solace anyways.  So, take heed people, wear sunscreen every day for a beautiful tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment