Camelot

Camelot

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Hats & Musings

You know what I was just thinking while I was ironing...I was thinking they should bring hats back in fashion.  Well, I've actually thought about it before, I went so far as buying a sunhat which I haven't worn yet but plan on it this summer.  This coming from a person who very rarely wore hats in the past.  But really, they should bring hats back in fashion and I'm not talking about berets or pageboy hats but the big wide brim "Hello Dolly" hats (I loved that movie by way when I was a kid), the Kentucky Derby hats.  Wouldn't that be awesome.  If I wore something like that today people would laugh and think I belong in a loony bin.  I think they had it right back then when people wore clothes, I mean really wore clothes.  Of course it was for different reasons, morally or otherwise.  Back then it was taboo for a woman to expose an ankle. (Oh dear, did you see that.  Everyone saw her ankle.  Honey, I don't want you associating with that sort.)  Hahaha...can you imagine a prissy woman of that time being transported, by time travel of course, to Venice Beach, CA in the middle of summer.  She would probably have a heart attack from shock as soon as she arrived.  Die right there on the spot bug eyed.  But seriously, skin cancer was probably unheard of back then with women wearing layers upon layers of material that covered their entire body, wearing wide brim hats and carrying a parasol.  Those women were protected.  The same with men, they wore trousers with long sleeve button shirts, jackets and hats.  The ozone layer was in tip top shape and global warming was nowhere to be found.  Today, with us destroying the ozone layer and causing global warming we are wearing less and less clothes.  We have absolutely no protection against the UVA/UVB rays that we are more and more exposed to.  So, I was thinking this summer I am going to buy a collection of hats and wear them all summer long.  Just a little experiment I want try and maybe I'll actually like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment