Camelot

Camelot

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Update - Eczema Situation

So, regarding my eczema situation.  I've been using the Watt's Moroccan Oil and the Vaseline Petroleum Jelly consistently every morning and night for the last few days and I've seen remarkable improvement in my skin.  The eczema covered almost my entire face with the exception of my forehead.  The worst areas were around my nose and along my chin line from ear to ear.  As I stated before it started around the same time as the allergies hit me a few weeks ago and I had no idea what was going on.  I was actually afraid and was in denial for a while.  I refused to see a doctor because I didn't think they could tell me anything I didn't already know or could find out for myself, so I self diagnosed.  I read about all the different types of rashes out there and I narrowed it down to eczema.  It was the most plausible explanation with the itchiness, the dryness, flaking and sensitivity.  I could no longer use my regular moisturizer because it would sting my face as soon as I applied it.  I read that with eczema you have to keep your face continuously moisturized and that oil and petroleum jelly helped with easing the dryness.  The middle of the night was the hardest.  It took all of my self control to not scratch my face.  What I discovered was, that it was most helpful when as soon as the itchiness would start I would slather on more Vaseline (I kept the jar next to my bed) and I would take a cold item and lay it across my face especially in the areas where it was the most itchy.  I had a bunch of eye pads that I kept in the refrigerator and that's what I used to lay on my face and what's great is that it's reusable.  In the morning I would just put them back in the fridge and they were ready by the time I went to bed that evening.  Those helped a lot with the itchiness.  The cold would numb my skin and I felt relief and was able to sleep through the night.  Benedryl helped a lot too but most night's I didn't want to feel drugged so I kept Benedryl around only on nights when it was really bad but for the most part I rarely had to use it.  My skin now is recovering nicely.  The eczema is no longer noticeable, I still feel it so I know it's still there and that I need to continue my routine but just the fact that you can no longer see it is amazing.  My face actually looks normal now.  And soon I'll be able to start working out again.  I stopped working out because I read that heat and sweat irritates eczema and might worsen it.  I'm looking forward to the day when it will no longer be there, when I'll be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment