Camelot

Camelot

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

What's All The Screaming About?

Tonight there was a little bit of excitement in my neighborhood.  It was 10:30 in the evening and I was laying in bed getting ready to go to sleep watching a little T.V. (MI-5, a British show from around 2002) when I heard a low guttural scream.  At first I ignored it, occasionally the young twentysomethings in my complex can be heard laughing and screeching while consuming alcohol.  Annoying really, I tolerate it because I remember when I was that age.  I wasn't very different.  But the low guttural scream was getting louder and louder as the seconds ticked by.  My dog, Talon, agitated started barking.  Then I heard my neighbors talking.  I decided to check to see what all the commotion was about.  I stepped outside (it was like a scene from an asian horror flick) there before my eyes was an asian woman, petite, short black hair dressed in a long flowery skirt and a dark cardigan walking haphazardly down the street waving her arms above her head and screaming.  She seemed intoxicated.  I didn't know what was wrong with her.  Questions were flying around in my head.  Was she attacked?  Was she running away from an abusive husband?  Was she mentally ill?  She was alone.  No one was running after her.  I turned to my nearest neighbor and discussed with her whether we should call the police.  We still hadn't made up our minds when she stopped screaming and walked further down the street.  We thought it was over.  Maybe she was having an episode of some sort?  While my neighbor and I were talking the woman surprised us by quietly walking past us going back the way she came.  She was walking firm and steady.  Maybe she wasn't drunk afterall.  My neighbor called out to her to ask if she was OK but she continued walking past barely glancing in our direction.  We looked at each other and shrugged our shoulders and turned to walk back in our apartments.  Once inside I exhaled a sigh of relief, glad it was over, thinking about the strangeness of people.  A few seconds later I heard another scream.  I grabbed my sweater stepped back outside and there was the woman standing outside our gate (my complex is a gated complex), just standing there screaming.  Then she turned suddenly and continued walking down the street in the same direction.  One of our other neighbors armed with a flashlight walked outside the gate and followed her.  He didn't have to follow her long, she turned back in our direction and walked towards him.  He was able to calmly talk to her and in broken English she kept muttering about her daughter coming home late.  While that neighbor was talking to the woman my other neighbor called 911 and requested to have an officer come here to deal with the situation.  Maybe her daughter has a boyfriend living in our complex and she was trying to get their attention?  Why would she be screaming outside our gates?  So dramatic don't you think?  She must suffer from a mental illness.  We waited outside until the police arrived.  Hopefully they can figure out what the heck is going on.  What a strange night.  It seems that as the economy has gone to the dogs so has my neighborhood.  So much for a good night's sleep.  I'll be up for a couple of more hours I'm sure.

1 comment: