Camelot

Camelot

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Christianity Equals Patriotism (Huh?)

Is it true that here and now in the United States in the 21st Century that Christianity equals Patriotism?  I recently watched a documentary of a discussion regarding religion and it’s role in politics and how it’s impacting our society.  The conversations were with a physicist, philosopher, biologist, theologian and an accredited screenwriter.  Of course it wasn't the main topic of discussion but it was a part of it.  It’s so hard for my feeble mind to understand how this has happened.  According to American history our forefathers came to this country to be free to practice their chosen religion whatever that may be.  To be free from tyranny and oppression.  For me, I don’t subscribe to any one particular religion, yes I was baptized a Roman Catholic but as I see it they all have the same basic moral message.  Good is good and bad is bad.  If I see a child lying bleeding in the street and I take the child to the hospital is that very Christian of me or Muslim of me or Jewish of me?  I think it’s very human of me.  Didn’t we settle this argument in the United States long ago about separating Church from State?  I’m sure a lot of people will disagree with me but I don’t understand the logic of why if a person isn’t Christian he/she isn’t a patriot.  Can we not love the country that we live in and still practice whatever beliefs we believe in whether we are Atheist, Christian, Muslim, Jew or Buddhist, etc…?

No comments:

Post a Comment