Camelot

Camelot

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Awkward Coffee Date

I'm sitting at my favorite coffee shop and a couple of tables away from me is a couple on their first date. It's a Vietnamese woman and a Latino man. It sounds so awkward but I can't help but hear them. He's filling her head with compliments while she's talking about herself, about how good and generous she is. Is that what we all sound like on a first date? Is that what I sounded like on my first date with my boyfriend? All I recall is that I did do most of the talking while he sat there and listened. I do remember that he didn't compliment me once on our date. Hmmm...maybe that's what caught me. Too many mushy compliments and I feel nauseous. Oh, they just got up and are walking to their cars, he's dressed casually in a white t-shirt, black cargo shorts and tennis shoes (appropriate wear for a coffee date) while she's dressed in a back exposing very skintight mini mini LBD (appropriate wear for clubbing on a Friday/Saturday night) and sky high black stiletto heels. I wore jeans, a cream blazer and high heels on my first date. If first impressions count what does that outfit say about her and what did my outfit say about me? Hmmmm.... I don't have too much experience with first dates...in my lifetime, which is a long time, I can probably count the amount of first dates I've had on my two hands, more than five but less than ten. Is that what men are looking for now? Women who just put it out there on the first coffee date? Dress to impress while he can show up casually comfortable? My mind says not. I think we all should dress for the occasion. Coffee dates, dress casually. Save the LBDs for a night of dinner and dancing, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment