Camelot

Camelot

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

John Carter - IMAX 3D

This past weekend I watched "John Carter".  I watched it in IMAX 3D.  It was worth it.  There were so many things going on in the movie that I didn't have a second to be bored.  It is a fun entertaining movie and I'd like to watch it 2 - 3 more times to catch more of the details, as it was, I was busy concentrating on the characters and following the story line.  The beginning of the movie starts with a narration of Mars (Barsoom) and the conflicts of it's inhabitants, then off to New York to a millionaire, John Carter, who is being followed by a small nondescript man who John tries to shake off his trail in order to send a message to his nephew to come see him at his estate, then off to Arizona to a broke civil war vet, John Carter, who is prospecting for gold and finds himself in trouble with the law and then to Mars (Barsoom) where his life starts to become very interesting.  The background and scenery looked and felt authentic enough.  I imagine Mars to look very similar to how it was represented in the movie.  During one scene when the Princess of Mars, Dejah Thoris, was making her escape from an unwanted arranged marriage, or wait, maybe it was the fight scene when the evil bad guy was gifted with the power of the eight rays or whatever it was called, I can't recall at the moment, I had a feeling of deja vu.  Do you remember "Flash Gordon"?  A sci-fi movie from the 80's.  I must have watched that movie a hundred times when I was a kid ("the bore worms" although they never showed us the bore worms, the way the princess said it in "Flash Gordon", I didn't need to see them...I can just imagine the torture they can cause.  Ok, I've gone off on a tangent...back to the main topic).  Of course the technology and special effects has advanced since then but at that first moment in the flying ship I got the sense of having scene the vibrant colors, lighting, background, camera angles, I don't know how to put it, I don't know enough of movie making to place an exact finger on it but that feeling was there nonetheless.  Yes, I loved the movie.  It was thoroughly enjoyable and wouldn't mind watching it several more times.

--
*Allene Angelica*
       =^_^=

No comments:

Post a Comment